This week at my clinical I was able to witness a moving and powerful testimony to the peace that only God can give. I was observing in the endoscopy department for the day and one of the patients we needed to work on was a woman about my age in the ICU. She had just had a baby and due to some unforeseen complication involving a loss of lots of blood, now had no brain activity.
She and her family are strong Christians, evident by testimonies of the nurses caring for her and the many scriptures, prayers, and mementos around the room. I witnessed a heart-breaking moment when her mother took a few moments to lean over her daughter and talk to her, pray over her, and share a moment with her. Later we were visiting with her husband. He was hopeful, as were some of her doctors, that there was a chance for recovery for her.
In both the husband's calm acceptance and her mother's anguished moment, I saw a peace that transcends all earthly circumstances. They were hopeful, they were making the decisions to fight for her earthly life, but at the same time they were at peace knowing she is destined for a better place, whether soon or later. What a comfort it is to know that death is only a begining of true, full life. How hard the moment of earthly separation, but how exuberant the reunion will be! I pray that I can be such a strong testimony to God's spirit when it's my time to walk through heartbreaking tragedy.
No comments:
Post a Comment