Thursday, June 2, 2011

Schizo and autism and depression, oh my!

So I just completed 19 hours in three days of lectures about mental health to kick off my 6 week summer session.  It was all interesting information, but good grief that's a lot to take in all at once.  Monday we do orientation at the facilities we'll be at.  I'll be at one of the state hospital's mental health facilities for two weeks, then at their Alzheimer's unit for two weeks. 

I have a feeling God has some very special people in store for me.  I know I will be challenged and stretched.  In Mental Health nursing the care is really about dialogue, creating trust, observing behavior, listening, and relational interactions.  There will be very little physical care, which we have been doing up to this point.  I'm a bit nervous, but also looking forward to it, especially the Alzheimer's unit.

No comments:

Post a Comment