My Clinical Group
Every time I step into the hospital, anxiety threatens to cripple, but taking the step into the elevator, seeking out the nurse, knocking for that first time on the patient's door, introducing myself are the baby steps that see me through the stress. When the day is done I realize there was nothing to fear, that these folks appreciated and valued the personal care and attention I was able to give and in some small way I was able to give assistance to the nurse and the techs in their busy jobs. Even as an inexperienced student I can touch lives and help people in their times of hurt and vulnerability. In getting a glass of ice or an extra pillow, in adjusting a pillow, in bathing bodies, in changing beds, in giving health-promoting medicines, in listening to them I can be Jesus to my patients.
Oh God let me be a light and a comfort, an empathetic ear and a shoulder to cry on, a comforting presence to all those I have the privilege to serve. Let me practice safe, health promoting methods. Give me words to communicate, presence of mind to recall important information, common sense to do what is best, and discernment when dealing with emotional responses. These people are your creation, loved dearly by you! Let me always see them through your eyes Lord God!

No comments:
Post a Comment