I'm here at the middle of my semester, just finishing up studying pediatrics and looking forward to studying obstetrics and neonatal care. I was not sure what I would think of pediatrics, but it was enjoyable and not as challenging as I thought it might be. The biggest challenge I faced was an exrememly difficult professor, but I survived.
One of the first patient's I took care of was a severely ill, terminal patient that was 3 years old. It was heart-braking to know that I or anyone else on earth could not do anything to get him better. God gave me a day with him however that really impacted how I give care to terminal patients. When you're face to face with the reality of death, especially unexpected in one so young, it's easy to get desperate and reaching for anything that would prolong his life.
I had to step back from that "rescuer" impulse and realize that there was nothing I could do to prolong his life. However, I can love on him, care for him, be a positive day in his short life to the best of my ability. This is what it means to care for the least of these. He is created and loved by God, a soul precious to Him. In caring for him I am caring for God, I am letting Him shine through me.
No comments:
Post a Comment